Saturday, April 18, 2015

The Messages (E9)

None of this would have been possible without the help of many friends and family. Here are a few things some of them had to say upon finding out I was going to ask April to marry me:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Noel

Friday, April 10th, half asleep, while reviewing Facebook, I saw out of the corner of my eye, a photo of Brian down on bended knee. I immediately jumped out of bed and shrieked. For those that know me, this can be very loud and high pitched. I investigate further to view more photos, and of course, wanted to know what the ring looked like! My heart filled with joy. I immediately texted April I was up to speed, as well as express my utter adoration of her and Brian's relationship.

I had the pleasure of knowing April and Brian in Fukushima, Japan. April was my instant best friend and family. After a few short months in Japan, April told me her boyfriend, Brian, would be joining us. Slightly nerved, I feared I would lose my best friend and was unsure of our new dynamic. Brian's infectious laugh melted any trepidation away. Brian instantly felt like another friend I had known my whole life, as I did with April. We shared our love for Bay Area music, cooking, and adventure. We all went on road trips and even ventured to Korea together. As I got to know Brian more, I knew how right they were for each other.

I used to ask April pretty regularly when she thought she would marry Brian, as April and I shared a love for planning the future. "Spring wedding? Do you want to own a house first? Would it be in San Diego?? What do you want to spare expense on and what are your must haves?" April and Brian have thousands of incredible photos together that capture their travel experiences, love of nature and running. It was fitting, Brian hired a talented photographer to capture the engagement, which couldn't have been more spot-on with what April would want. April and Brian are a beautiful balance and am thrilled to celebrate their engagement!

"Actually, the best gift you could have given her was a lifetime of adventures.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edward
Brian was down in San Diego during Christmas time when he told us that he was planning to propose to April in Iceland.  Ironically, April was the one to invite us on the trip without knowing Brian's true intentions!  I felt really excited to be involved with planning the proposal; it added another layer of anticipation for our Iceland getaway.

Without being able to scope out a proper location for the proposal, we had to rely more on our instincts to determine the perfect moment; Brian was so eager to make it happen, but I kept telling him to be patient.  At the beginning of our trip we endured a few setbacks, but the night of the proposal felt like pure redemption.  The clear sky allowed the stars and the Northern Lights to create the perfect backdrop.  Being able to witness the proposal in tandem with the dazzling array of lights elevated our already high spirits.

An engagement is a big deal and I know that Brian isn't the type to rush to such a decision.  I was fortunate enough to travel with them this year a few times and see them together as a couple, but also as a great opportunity to get to know April better.  However, in our brief time together, it felt as if I had already known her for years!  April and Brian share the same kindness and warmth; they just fit together.  You'd have a hard time finding two people more deserving of each other.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Albert

First off, congratulations to you guys! That was an epic proposal and I'm so happy for  both of you, looking forward to Summer of 2016!

I remember the day Brian told me he was planning to propose to April, I had actually messaged him first to tell him about I was planning to propose to my own girlfriend. I believe we were both mind blown when we told each other our plans. I was waiting for him to say "BAZINGAH!". That didn't happen! And then I learned about Iceland =)

Not only had we started grad school at the same time, sort of finished at the same time, endured countless projects and long nights of studying with Fast Delivery Pizza and 7-11 coffee, and hung out in Japan, but now we were buying rings from the same Mom+Pop shop for our girlfriends and proposing to them....almost at the same time.

I honestly couldn't ask to share something like this with anyone else. I consider Brian to be one of my closest friends, even though we don't see each other as much anymore as we did during grad school days, but when we do hang out it feels like just yesterday we were catching baseballs in the quad in between class.

It's been an interesting ride of my own since I'd realized, and having someone going through the same ride to talk to has made it even more memorable.

You guys are an amazing team and I'm sure you guys will have a ton of memorable adventures ahead! I hope to hear all about them from you when we're hanging out on the porch in Hawaii, attempting to do Parkour or something. Congrats again!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Winston

How I feel when B told me he was going to propose to A?
One Sunday evening Brian, Ashley and I went to have dinner at a Chinese Restaurant in Oakland. He told us that they were planning to go to Iceland. Of course I asked, WHY! Isn’t it super cold?! That is when he told us his special plan for April.

I have known Brian since the first few days of grad school. Routinely, Brian would come to my place to hangout, do school work / workout / Starcraft LAN with his buddies. One of these days, the hopeless romantic Brain told us that he can’t hangout on the weekend.
ME: How come :<? Brian: I am going to see April.

AHH… we all knew that he is seeing someone special.

In 2013 we visited Taiwan together. That is when I get to know April better. She is smart, easy going, knowledgeable and easy to talk to. She is very adventurous, not yet one time she complained about the food, or the crazy truck ride up and down a treacherous mountain, where 4 of us we were rolling side to side, back and forth in the back of the truck.

So back to the question: How I feel when B told me he was going to propose to A?
I felt happy for my buddy Brian when he told me the arrangement. What came up in the back of my mind is the first time I met April at one of Brian’s guitar performance; you don’t need a PHD in Romantic Studies to see that they belong together. I saw so much passion, admiration, and love just by the way she looked at him.

Congratulations to you both!


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aki

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Stephanie

I was scrolling down my Facebook feed half-asleep on the train to work, and I saw amazing photos of April and Brian looking all lovey-dovey. They were so beautiful I was about to teasingly comment “These look like someone’s super awesome engagement photos! (winky face)” until I hit the ring picture and realized that that was what they were! I stopped myself from screaming in joy on the train and let my feelings flow on a most incomprehensivemessage (mostly in caps) on the album, but I really was so happy that it was impossible to contain it in one message. I only knew April and Brian for about a year while they were in Japan, but they’ve become dear, dear friends of mine—I’m sure they understood through my typos and excessive exclamation marks that I was truly, truly happy for them. I remember a conversation April and I had on the difficulties of keeping in touch with people exclusively linked to certain “chapters” of your life, and I want to prove to both April and Brian that this neighbour in your Japan chapter will definitely make a reappearance in your life, on your big day, the beginning of your next chapter in life. Can’t wait to see you guys again!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ayumi

I was not surprised, just thought " the time has come." I already know he is the best man for my best friend.

2人の婚約を知ったとき、驚きませんでした。ただ、その時がきたと思いました。彼は私の親友にベストな人だとすでに知っているから。
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kristine

Hi Ate! 

We just wanted to say congratulations again! We've actually known since Thanksgiving. While the two of us and Brian hung out that weekend you were gone, and made Carne Asada fries for Thanksgiving dinner, he told us the big news! &honestly, we already feel like family with him ..so we were so excited to hear it was going to be official. 

Also, there were numerous occasions that I almost let the secret slip. I'm so happy that the proposal went perfectly!  Happy engagement!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nikki

Congrats Ate!!! 
When Brian told us during Thanksgiving that he was planning to propose, I was literally screaming with excitement afterwards. I'm so happy for the two of you and excited for Brian to be a part of our family. Can't wait to see what else lies in store for you two. Love you sis and happy engagement!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April's Dad

Congratulations! I can’t find the words to express how happy I am that you have made a commitment to love, nurture, and cherish each other. Mom and I will always be here to guide you when you need us as you tackle each challenge. We will always be here to celebrate with you each and every milestone you achieve. We will always allow you to grow and learn more about life. May God be in the center of your lives at all times. 

Dad

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April's Mom

It was such a wonderful news when Brian called and told us about his plan. Thank you Brian for asking our blessings to marry April, we feel very honored! Sorry but I got excited and had to share it with Bless - April's Ninang and my bestfriend and all her Tita's in the Phil 😊 - they're all very happy and excited as well. tita Lloyd has been texting me everyday this week and checking if Brian proposed already..
Congratulations!! May your love for one another only strengthen as you take the next step of marriage. May God continue to bless both of you. Brian, thank you for taking care and loving our daughter...  

Mom

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you everyone for your words and your time!

<3 Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment