Thursday, March 26, 2015

VIP (E2)

I just decided I was going to do it. I was going to ask April to marry me...

Now what?

The sisters:
I decided I would tell her sisters first before anyone else, because April told me that they would be her bridesmaids. I remember the day I told her sisters relatively well because it was the first time I really talked out loud about marrying April to anyone other than her. It was also the first time I was with both of April's sisters without April. It was Thanksgiving Day 2014 and we were having a Friends Thanksgiving-episode marathon. After a carne asada fry-chocolate cream pie extravaganza, the words just came out: "So.. I'm going to ask April to marry me when we go to Iceland."
The reactions were pretty much what I had hoped for. They were both excited and supportive and even offered to help me find a ring and brianstorm a plan. Woo! The sisters were on board!

My friends:
I was out having dinner with my best friends from high school in San Diego when I delivered the news. They were equally supportive and 2 of them actually said they would come to Iceland to help out!

I then went on to tell my coworkers over drinks, my parents, and a few close friends here in the Bay Area (including one who was/is also planning an engagement). All there was left to do... was ask her parents.

Her parents:
I also remember this day very clearly because it was the day of the one and only "party" we ever held at our place (February 7, 2015). During the day, April and her sister (Kristine) decided to go to the city for shopping which gave me a huge chunk of alone time. I had been mulling over what I was going to say to her parents for a couple of months. And it actually took me a few hours that same day to muster up the courage to press "call." When I finally was able to call them, the call went to voicemail. I tried a second time, hoping it was just a fluke but again! Voicemail!

I started panicking because I thought that April and Kristine might come home before I was able to complete the task. I decided the best thing to do was to leave the apartment and wait for a call back at a different location (a decision that turned out to be very beneficial). I was rock climbing at Great Western Power Company when April's mom called me back. The conversation went something like this:

Brian: Hi Auntie! How are you?
April's Mom: (sounding worried) Is everything okay?!

Brian: yes yes! There's nothing wrong!
April's Mom: ah okay good good, I was really worried.

Brian: I just wanted to ask you something. Is Uncle there?
April's Mom: Yeah he's next to me.

Brian: Can you please put it on speaker?
April's Mom: (hear rustling. Overhear April's dad) Okay we're both here.

Brian: So I know I haven't been able to see you guys very often, and I'm sorry I wasn't able to do this in person, but I was wondering if you would be okay with me asking April to marry me.

Aside: This moment of silence felt like 3 hours but was probably only 3 seconds at most

April's Mom: (sounding surprised) Of course! Whenever April talks to me about you, I get the sense that you treat her well. I know she loves you very much.
Brian: Oh man, I'm so happy to hear that.
April's Dad: You know, that's all I ever wanted. I'm really happy you guys are deciding to get married.
Brian: Thank you so much for saying that!

I went on to explain my plan, that I was going to do it in April 2015 while we were in Iceland, and that Kristine and Nikki already knew. April's mom said that they would keep it a secret. Not 10 minutes after that phone call ended, April texted me letting me know that they were on their way home. That was exhilarating. It was easier than I thought it would be, but I was still as nervous as I'd ever been in my life. It felt amazing to have April's parents' blessing because I knew that was also very important to her. From time-to-time she would ask me, how are you going to ask my Dad?

You see, April's Dad scares me (and I know that being afraid of your significant other's parents isn't exactly new). I mean that in the most endearing way. From the stories that April and Kristine talk about, I can tell he really cares about them. He just has a different way of showing it (usually not through words). So for him to say what he did to me, even though it was just that little bit. It meant the world to me. I really felt like I could ask April to marry me without any hesitation. Now I just needed a ring...

No comments:

Post a Comment