Sunday, February 3, 2013

The Shakes

In the 2.5 weeks I have been in Japan, I've felt as many earthquakes as I did living in the bay area for 7 years. I have felt 4 or 5 earthquakes, the most recent of which was the largest at magnitude 6.9. The epicenter was near Obihiro-shi, Hokkaido Prefecture:
A. Iwaki-shi (where I am)
B. Obihiro-shi (epicenter of earthquake)

To give you some perspective into my actual distance from the epicenter, it's about the same distance from the San Francisco Bay Area to San Diego. That may make you wonder how I even felt the earthquake if it was that far. Well guess what, I felt it and it lasted for about 10-15 seconds 0_0

April experienced a magnitude 7.4 earthquake at a closer proximity in December and said it was the scariest earthquake she's experienced. She said that right before it happened, all of the peoples' phones around her started ringing and she wondered why everyone was getting called at the same time. A couple of seconds later, the ground started shaking. Apparently, Japan employs a phone-alert system for earthquakes and tsunamis. That's why everyone's phone was going off simultaneously. 

Despite these earthquakes, I feel relatively safe in our apartment because it withstood a magnitude 9.0 earthquake 2 years ago, as you all know. April told me that it was actually the only building in Taira (the more specific area of Iwaki-shi that we live in) that had running water after the earthquake and tsunamis hit. Speaking of which, I must say that it is really interesting and sometimes heartbreaking hearing about the different stories of people who experienced the Great Tohoku Earthquake in 2011. I don't want to mention specific stories as I don't want to put anyone on blast, but I just have to say that it made me appreciate the culture here even more.

On a lighter note, all of these earthquakes here in Japan make me wonder why this side of the ring of fire is so much more active than the Americas side. I feel like all of the tectonic plates just meet up in Japan and at least one of them is always in motion. I bet they have group meetings to decide which one moves that day. Heh.

In any case, I've still been enjoying my time here despite the earth shakes and the cold shakes. In fact, it has been a tiny bit warmer the past few days. For whatever reason after that snowstorm we experienced last week, the temperatures have been higher here in Taira, Iwaki-shi.

A couple of days ago, we went to Koriyama-shi, a city east of Iwaki-shi that is still in Fukushima Prefecture. We went ice skating, kareoke-ing, and we ate at this legendary Mexican food joint (it's a hole in the wall that we had only heard of through word of mouth).
I know you can't tell, but there is an ice skating rink behind that glass (we weren't allowed to bring electronic devices out on the ice).

Carnitas Tacos

Apparently, many people have spoken about this Mexican food place, but only few have ever actually found it. I must say that even though it was expensive (about $15 for 3 tacos), it was amazingly delicious. The owner is Mexican and came to Japan originally to teach English. He eventually married a Japanese woman and decided to start this Mexican restaurant in his spare time while he runs another business selling Japanese action figures. The tortillas are homemade (you can't find soft tortillas anywhere in Japan), and his ingredients are relatively expensive. But that's why it was so good! If you are ever in Koriyama, I would definitely recommend eating at El Jalapeno... if you can ever find it :D


No comments:

Post a Comment